This blog is written each night before I go to bed. Blog is written in the past tense, talking about "yesterday".
April 3, 2012 Daily Blog John W Previous 2012 blogs
On Easter Sunday, Hong Kong's Cardinal John
is due to say a Tridentine Mass at St Teresa's Church in Kowloon at 3pm
For the past two weeks, this
has appeared in HK's Catholic papers
Compared with similar sites in other
the HK Tridentine Community's website is quite simple, mild and peaceful
Some comments about Sunday's Mass: (from myself and other HK priests I've spoken to)
- Cardinal Tong is no doubt being pressured to
say the Mass,
as was his predecessor Cardinal Joseph Zhen who said the group's 5th Anniversary Mass
- Pope Benedict, who is pushing for the
restoration of the Tridentine Mass,
no doubt has briefed all the cardinals about the need to support Tridentine groups
- possibly "no support, no be cardinal"
- most cardinals around the world have been saying Tridentine Masses (?)
- Easter Sunday of all days! The most
important day of the year. A wise day to say
a Tridentine Mass? What message does that send? To priests/seminarians/people....
- people involved in choirs etc for the Mass
have been practicing for more than a month.
It's going to be quite a show: see the adv for the list of choirs
- Easter Sunday: people will be missing from their parishes for the most important Mass of the year
- people are coming from China to attend the
Mass (....and then go back and plant/water the seed
for Tridentine Masses in China....which means more disunity in an already divided Catholic community)
- Vatican Council II and Pope Paul VI said to stop celebrating the Tridentine Mass
- Pope Benedict XVI overturned that
ruling....and he is pressuring the cardinals to follow his decision
- a final comment from a senior HK priest (not myself): "the height of stupidity, but no doubt he's being pressured
to do it" (...just as he was conscripted to join Vox Clara...)
Jesus, where is the Church going?
Is it going the way you want it to go?
My Bible Plan for today = the readings of Tuesday of Holy Week
Thank you for a prayer
|*** Cheap International Phone Calls ***||Previous weekly diary|